Wednesday 14 October 2015

WOYWW #332: Fabric covered spiral journal

Hello everyone joining WOYWW this week! The weeks seem to go by so fast at this time of year. The days are getting shorter and it's not long before we'll have to set the clocks back later this month. The lack of light is evident in my desk shot, even though it was taken during daylight hours yesterday afternoon. If you would like to share your work desk with the crafting world, take a photo and link up at the Stamping Ground!  Here's mine:


I'd only just finished collaging my new LifeBook page. I completed this page last night and I'll show you a sneak preview at the end of this post. That's my matte medium drying out in the middle without the lid on - ouch! On the left, there are some Montana paint markers I'd just received in the post. I'll write a review about these some day soon. In the top left corner of the picture is a fabric covered journal, which I can show you right now. I'd ordered some more batik specifically for making journal covers. I didn't have the heart to cut into the other ones I showed you last week. I figured, if I buy them specifically for this project, it will be easier to use them!

I added these two pieces to my collection. They have the same design, one orange/brown and the other navy/brown. They make great journal covers!



Here's how I covered one of my spiral bound journals with the orange fabric. I started out by cutting a piece of batik slightly larger than the cover.  I used matte medium to stick it down by adding it in an even, thin layer to the cover with a brush. I carefully stuck down the fabric, making sure that the surface was smooth and folded over the wings with a bit more matte medium. Then I adhered a thin line of self-adhesive book cloth, to cover up the edge. Do this to both covers and you're done! It couldn't be easier! You can also add patterened paper or gelli prints to the inside of the covers to hide the edges of the fabric. I really like the way it looks and it's very tactile too.










And here's the sneak peak I've promised you of the page you saw in progress on my desk. I'll write a full post about it later today or tomorrow. Thank you for joining me for this week's What's On Your Work Desk Wednesday!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below.