Friday 6 February 2015

LifeBook Week06: Seeds of Love

This week's LifeBook lesson is my favourite so far. It is taught by the fabulous Tamara Laporte and it's called Seeds of Love.

I have to admit, the part of the lesson where she talked about colour theory in relation to shades and tones went right above my head, so I just winged it. I'm hoping a second viewing of her video will clarify a few issues, but I just couldn't wait to get started with this project. This is the type of painting style I might want to develop if I was ever to sell my art. It's "right up my street" so to speak.

I'm not at liberty to reveal intimate details of this technique, but I think I can show you the collage I started out with consisting of pieces of book pages, napkins, washi tapes and patterned paper.

Initial collage layer
Neocolors, acrylics and stamping added
After this, a long process of drawing, layering, colouring ensued. I kept changing the colours and as a result most of the underlying layers got obliterated in places. This is not necessarily bad, but I would have liked more of the layers to show through in those areas as well. Once I was happy with the colour blocking, I did some doodling with black and white pens. I had to stop myself at some point in fear of overdoing it! This is what I ended up with: (hope you like it as much as I do - in order to launch the gallery, just click on the first photo)

Tam's put out a free time lapse video of a similar process - I've included a link at the bottom of this post.













Here's a link to Tam's free video to one of her similar projects:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below.