Wednesday 15 October 2014

WOYWW 280: My Junk Art Journal

Happy Wednesday again! The weeks roll by so fast, it's unbelievable! Another day of desk hopping on the Stamping Ground courtesy of Julia Dunnit. This is what my desk looked like earlier this morning (after I pushed all that the clutter out of the way - you don't need to see that!) I've only just finished this spread in my junk journal.


Those of you who have been following my blog might remember that I have a journal phobia (kind of). By this I mean that I have a fear of ruining my expensive shop-bought journals, so I tend not to use them. This, of course defeats the purpose of having a journal in the first place. But hey, I never said I was reasonable. In fact, I can be very unreasonable sometimes. I'm happy to say that starting a junk journal seems to have cured my phobia!

My junk journal is a 2011 business diary that my husband got from work but never used. I was going to throw it away, but then I thought I could use it to clean my brayer when Gelli printing. This way, I filled all the pages with colour in no time. Even at this point I wasn't quite sure how I was going to use it, but one night a few days ago I had a breakthrough!

It was close to midnight and I was about to go to bed, but I had this uncontrollable urge to create something. So I went downstairs and just started smudging paint with my fingers, sticking pieces of paper down, not worrying about the outcome. In about 10-15 minutes I completed a page. And I liked it! It felt wonderfully liberating to just enjoy the process of creating without having to worry about the result. After all, it's only a junk journal!

Since then I've created several new pages and feel really inspired to fill the entire journal. The fact that I already have some colour on my pages, really helps with the "staring at the blank page" syndrome. I just choose a coordinating Gelli print and go from there, adding more colour, images and doodling. I'm really liking this at the moment! I would recommend this process to anyone who would like to try journalling but doesn't know where to start. Here are some of my completed pages so far:








No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below.