Thursday 3 July 2014

Flower of Life: before and after

This is the first page in my new Strathmore Mixed Media journal.  I didn't know where I was gonna end up when I started out.  I just splashed some green/blue/yellow watercolours on the background.  I was amazed at how well the paper was handling this heavy wash, being only 90 lb in weight as opposed to the usual 140 lb.  It did not curl or buckle.

Next, I cut out a rough outline of the flower using thin white tissue paper, which I stuck down with matte gel medium. I'm not sure if this step was necessary or not, but I did it so as not to affect my watercolour background. I used white gesso to paint the petals and watercolour for the stem and leaves. When it was all dry I added the sketchy outlines and the words inside the leaves and the petals.

The words are meant to reflect the things that are most important in my life, in no particular order. I actually quite like the flower without the added doodles, just as a watercolour painting.  Luckily, I took a photo of my page at that stage, so I can compare the two. Which do you think is better? Perhaps less is more in this case?




1 comment:

I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below.